Name:
Location: Illinois, United States

The days are just packed. Every day is an adventure. Life is good.

Saturday, February 19, 2005

American Splendor

I stayed up last night and watched the movie "American Splendor" that I checked out http://www.americansplendormovie.com/main.html
about the life of comic book writer Harvey Pekar. It was slow but interesting and won lots of movie awards. I might have to start a comic book about my adventures.

Synopsis

American Splendor immerses you in the life and worldview of Harvey Pekar, working-class Everyman, first-class curmudgeon, and unlikely family man. It’s a pretty ordinary life: a dead-end job as a file clerk at a local V.A. hospital; an apartment in the same Rust Belt city, Cleveland, where he was born and raised; two busted marriages; and various hobbies and interests that help pass the time. But Harvey’s take on that life, and how he deals with it, is anything but average. Innately pessimistic and hilariously expressive, Harvey opines, complains, confronts, and on those occasions when he sees or experiences something fine, appreciates. His humanity and curiosity are as intrinsic to his personality as his acerbic humor.

There is something about the mundane of everyday life that I like. I think that's why I like books by authors like Anne Tyler. I just finished reading the book "Confederacy Of Dunces" for the second time. It wasn't as funny as I remember. That Ignatius Reilly is some wacky character. I'm just about finished with a new book by David Israel - "Behind Everyman" I saw something about it in one of the book newsletters I get and reserved it right away at the library. I think I'm the first one to check it out. I wonder if they bought it just for me. Anyone else who reads it should enjoy it. It's very sarcastic and funny. I hope someday I can get going on a novel. All these ideas buzzing around my head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter script